Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My Favorite Top 10 Comedic Movie Actors


People are always asking me, "What are your Favorite Comedy Movies?", "Who is your favorite Comedian or Comedic Actor of all time and who is your Favorite working today?" and questions such as that, as if I have a better take than they do. But that is not true. We are all affected in the same ways from the same stimuli. I guess the only difference is that maybe it influenced me in some way, maybe even subconsciously and very possibly shaped my own stage personna somehow. So anyway, here we go.

My absolute Favorite Comedic Movie Actor of all time was beyond a shadow of doubt, Groucho Marx. I used to laugh out loud so hard watching The Marx Brothers movies as a kid and still do 'till this day, which probably explains why my Favorite Comedy Movie of all time is 'A Day At The Races'. The scene with Groucho as Doctor Hackenbush on the phone driving Mr. Whitmore absolutely nuts is hysterical. And of course, who can forget the notorious operating room scene when all three Marx Brothers are examining Margaret Dumont and all the mayhem that ensues. The physical comedy of Harpo, the musical comedy of Chico and the lines that Groucho would get away with in those glorious movies are still so memorable and still hold up today. The most amazing thing to me was the double entente insults and sexual innuendos that Groucho would say, especially for that era. I mean it was, after all, the 30's and 40's and the censors must have been pulling out their collective hair.
I also don't want to forget about some of my other Favorite Acts of those great comedic times. Abbott & Costello were the best of both worlds in Comedy. They were Cerebral and Slapstick at the same time and their routines will live on as long as there are people living and laughing. Bud Abbott, even though he was labeled the best straight man in the business, was an incredible comedian with flawless timing. Without him the comedy would not have worked. Their chemistry together was impeccable.
Let's also add in Laurel & Hardy. How could one not love them. They had a sweetness about them and it came across in their comedy, no matter the situation they were in. Does anyone, besides me, remember the movie in which Laurel gets his head banged by a closing window in a college dorm room and he becomes a super intelligent, strong sports hero. Apparently that was who he was until a similar accident happened many years before while he was attending Oxford and he became the Stan Laurel we were all accustomed to. Oh, don't worry he hits his head again at the end and becomes himself again.....Classic!
During the 50's & 60's I loved to watch Jerry Lewis movies. I know people like to throw the word 'genius' around a lot but he truly was. I loved 'The Errand Boy'. The premise being that he was an errand boy for Paramutual Movie Studios and all he had to do was what he was told to do. But of course, he screwed that all up and somehow ruined all the movies being made at the studio by either accidentally being on the set at the wrong time and getting into the movie. Or how about the time he goes into a sound studio and by playing around he unintentionally does a voice over of a song that on the soundtrack, was supposed to be a woman singing. Well, to cut to the chase, as all of the studio executives are watching all the dailys and previews of all the studios movies ( One of my Favorite Comedy Scenes), people are laughing their respective heads off watching and listening to this fool. They think it is part of the plan and of course, a star is born. I loved the old Martin & Lewis movies also. The Stooge was terrific with many great scenes. It was almost biographical in a way.
Gene Wilder in The Producers with Zero Mostel is absolutely brilliant. What a terrific performance, as always. And that was just the beginning of his body of classic work. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Lady In Red, and the fabulous movies partnered with greatly missed, Richard Pryor: Stir Crazy, Silver Streak, Another You (One of my Favorites they did together) and See No Evil Hear No Evil. Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor together were so much fun to watch. I know it's a term that gets used a lot, but I simply loved their chemistry together. They had perfect timing, which is so essential in Team Comedy.
Now on to another one of my Favorites, Peter Sellers. What an amazing body of work this man created. The masterpiece Dr. Strangelove in which he played more than one character is timeless and such a tour de force. He played Dr. Strangelove, The President of The United States and an English Soldier and played them all brilliantly. Then you have all of the Pink Panther Movies as Inspector Clouseau. I loved watching that bumbling character that everything seemed to work out for and how that drove Inspector Dreyfuss insane, literally. Great Physical Comedy at it's best! One of my favorite scenes in those movies was the one where he is masquerading as a dentist and has to pull out Inspector Dreyfuss' tooth (Herbert Lom). He proceeds to give him Nitrous Oxide, laughing gas, and the result is hysterical. He pulls the wrong tooth and the both of them are completely overwhelmed by the gas and are laughing continiously throughout the scene. Fantastic!! I also loved his last performance in Being There. That really showed his talent as a Comedic Artist. The character was so simple yet the plot was so deep on many levels and still was funny at the same time. He owned the rights to that story for quite a while and I am so glad that he finally got the chance to do it before his demise. It would have sad not to have that movie in his credits.
My Favorite Comedic Actor of today is a 4-way tie between Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams & Tom Hanks. Bill Murray gets the edge here for me because as soon as I see him on screen, I am smiling and then laughing. He always has that smirk on his face that conveys that he is putting you on. Stripes, What About Bob, Caddyshack & Groundhog Day are so wonderfully funny. I could never imagine anyone else playing those parts. Jim Carrey is the modern day Jerry Lewis for me. He is absolutely so rubbery and animated but most importantly, so over-the-top. I love comedians and comedic actors that are fearless and aren't afraid to let go and he is one of the few......Chris Farley also comes to mind in that respect. It is a real shame that we lost him so early. I can only wonder what he would have achieved in the years to come. I really respect Tom Hanks & Robin Williams tremendously because not only are they great comedic actors but also can deliver drama equally as well. They can make you laugh and then make you cry in the next moment. That is a rare gift and a great talent.
And then there is the imcomparable Eddie Murphy, who I think is a Fantastic Comedic Actor with incredible presence on stage and on screen. Not many compare with his consistency. He stole the show in Trading Places, 48 Hours 1 & 2, and Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 2 and as Peter Sellers did, was brilliant portraying all of the characters in Coming To America and of course, The remake of The Nutty Professor. I loved all of those people he created in his family. 'Hercules, Hercules, Hercules!'

So, here it is:
My Top 10 List of Favorite Comedic Movie Actors
1. Grouco Marx with The Marx Brothers
2. Abbott & Costello
3. Jerry Lewis
4. Laurel & Hardy
5. Bill Murray
6. Jim Carrey
7. Peter Sellers
8. Gene Wilder
9. Richard Pryor
10. Robin Williams, Tom Hanks & Eddie Murphy (Tied for 10th)

Alright, so there's more than 10 people on there. So sue me.
Well, that's it for today and for my Favorite Comedic Actors of All Time in Movies. Of course, there are so many more great ones that I have loved to watch over the years but those are the ones that have made me laugh the hardest consistently and sometimes until it hurt! Who are your Favorite Top 10? Good luck narrowing your list down. It is very difficult.
In the days to come, I will write about my Favorite Comedy TV Actors & Shows, Favorite Comedy Movies, Past & Present Day Comedians (Ones that are famous and ones that people should know about but might not), Comedy Albums and anything else I can think of. Thanks for reading, from THE COMEDY TORNADO!!

As Featured On Ezine Articles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at comedytornado.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from this post right above if I give a link back to this website?

Thanks,
Oliver

Comedy Tornado said...

Yes go ahead. Thanks for reading.
www.comedytornado.com